Monday, April 17, 2017

"It kind of feels like I’m in Carpinteria…"

Nuegambi!

This week was awesome. I love it here in Veracruz. We work a lot in a neighborhood called Koskuna, which is pure Kunas, and another little invasion called La Victoria. So many friends from Tikantiki there. There’s also a ton of families from Carti, so I know my next Carti baptism is not far off.

It kind of feels like I’m in Carpinteria…just dirtier and with unpaved streets. We have a legit chapel. It’s super tiny but we only had 60 in attendance yesterday, so we all fit. The Branch President here is the guy who’s over Seminary for all of Panama, and he doesn’t even live here. But the counselors are awesome and are super willing to help.

Also, the Venezuelan's, Jusmery and Anbar, that I baptized in Arraijan live here! And we’re teaching her mom who’s visiting from Venezuela, and going back pretty soon, and she’s going to be baptized in the next few weeks.

Today for P-day we went with some friends from the branch to the top of a mountain nearby. It’s called Cerro Cabra and it took like two hours of bushwhacking to get there but you can see all of Arraijan and the city from there.



I didn’t know it was Easter yesterday either. I thought it was the next week and the Easter talks didn’t even make me realize.

Yesterday at church one of the jovenes opened his mission call. Only he requested it be sent in English, for some reason, but he doesn’t speak English. He tried reading it and failed so he just read the first country he saw which was Guatemala. Everyone was cheering and I went up to see it, and he had read the MTC he was going to. He actually got called to El Salvador…hahaha. So, we had to refilm it with me translating.

Almost forgot! We also had a baptism on Saturday for a guy named Rufino who’s 21. He’s been going to church for like 3 months and hadn’t been baptized, so the first time I went to meet him I asked him why he hadn’t been baptized yet and he just asked if we could do it on Saturday- haha. That went super well and lots of people showed up. I love it when baptisms aren’t the most stressful experiences ever.

Other than all that, there’s a house that makes Kuna bread here and people are inviting us over all the time to eat Dule Masi, the delicious unripe banana and coconut soup the Kunas eat. I nearly shed a tear every time.

For my spiritual thought, I will share one I’ve shared before about how important it is to love the people we teach and serve. I’ve already seen in one week here that one lesson where you really show the people you love them can get them to go to church.

Love you all!
Hastanoon diapeday
I’m learning Embera too!


Elder Green

No comments:

Post a Comment